Welcome Message from Father Michael Brandon
Welcome to the Precious Blood of Our Lord and All Souls. Our Lord Jesus Christ shed his Blood out of love for the whole human race. The special vocation of this parish is to celebrate and proclaim that love.
The church was built to commemorate all those who died in the Great War of 1914-18. The church also sustained serious bomb damage in the Second World War. It is therefore our particular duty and joy to pray for the souls of the faithful departed and to work for peace and justice throughout the world.
From an architectural and aesthetic point of view All Souls is arguably the most beautiful Catholic church in Coventry. At the heart of our life is prayer and the celebration of the Eucharist, and we hope that what happens in church reflects the beauty of God and enables us to live in joy and peace with ourselves and one another.
The fairly extensive grounds around the church have been improved recently. We now have a lovely Peace Garden with a marble statue of Our Lady, Queen of Peace. This garden is available for prayer and quiet reflection throughout the year.
This is a busy parish with lots going on. As priest in charge, it is my aim for leadership and ministry to be a shared endeavour. To help achieve this the parish have elected a parish pastoral council. Many people work with great dedication to make our parish such a vibrant and happy community.
Understanding God's dealings with us is a lifelong process. Every year we prepare people of all ages for full communion with the Catholic Church. Many children are prepared for the sacraments in partnership with our own school. But however long we have been Catholics we've always got more to learn! Each year we try to put on courses and spiritual talks to encourage this learning process.
May God bless you all
Saturday: 10.00 am,
Sunday: 9.30am and 11.15 am
Holy Day Masses:
9.30 am and 7.00 pm
Saturday 10.30 am to 11.15 am and 4.45pm to 5.15 pm
A Brief History of All Souls
It was decided in 1917 to build a church at Earlsdon as a local memorial to Catholic soldiers and sailors killed in the First World War. Funds were raised, and a site bought in Kingsland Avenue. The parish of All Souls, Earlsdon, was created in 1923 and the church of the PRECIOUS BLOOD AND ALL SOULS, the only new Roman Catholic church to be built in central Coventry after 1893, was opened in 1924. The church, a tall, impressive building, comprised at first the nave only, designed by G. Cave of Coventry. Transepts, side-chapels, sanctuary, and sacristies were added in 1938, to the design of Bower Norris. The finished church was of reinforced concrete frame construction, faced with pink brick and having stone dressings. The Romanesque style of the nave was reproduced in a simpler form for the eastward extensions of 1938.
In the Blitz of 1940, a high explosive bomb landed just outside the walls of the church, damaging the newly built transepts and sanctuary. The building was made safe but it was very spartan, with concrete floors, a wooden altar rail and unplastered walls. The pulpit and pillars were bare and there was no stained glass in the windows. Parishioners used an odd assortment of benches and chairs fixed together with strips of wood and a few kneelers here and there, which were very worn and threadbare.
War damage claim went part of the way to finance the cost of repairs but more was needed and it was not until 1963-64 that it was possible to complete the interior of the transepts and sactuary culminating in the church we see today.
A more detailed history, written by Jean Keenan (a longserving parishoner and former All Souls schoolteacher) can be found by following this link.
Note the history link above was produced for the Coventry Deanery Website.
Considering having your child baptised at All Souls?
Parents should come to Mass and make the necessary arrangements with Fr. Michael. Here is some useful guidance:
The Parish Newsletter is produced each week and gives details of Mass times and intentions for the week ahead.
The Peace Garden, dedicated to Our Lady Queen of Peace, is a place of beauty and prayer, for young and for old, a sanctuary of tranquility in a busy world. At the furthest extremity of the church car park through the archway the Peace Garden is available at all hours of the day and night. If you enjoy gardening and would like to help maintain the garden and surrounding area please speak to Fr.Michael or Carol. Alternatively just come and relax!
Meeting with Iqra
The next IQRA meeting takes place 11th February 2017, 5.30-7.30pm. All Souls will host a meal in the parish room.
Journey in Faith
This year's programme kicks off on October 13th 2016 at 7.30 pm. Follow the RCIA link on the left hand side to see the full programme.
Summer Garden Party
The Summer Garden Party will take place on Sunday 2nd July 2017 (Feast of the Precious Blood).
Christian Aid Week
Christian Aid Week 2016, which ran from from May15-21 raised £691. Thankyou to all the collectors.
Sunday May 22nd: The Cake Sale for Christian Aid has raised at least £85. Thanks to all the excellent bakers and to the parishoners from All Souls for their generosity!
First Communion took place on 7th and 8th May – over 3 Masses: 5.30pm on Saturday 7th May, 9.30am & 11.15am on Sunday 8th May. Congratulations to everyone who made their first holy communion and we hope you enjoyed the cake!
Cafod Water Appeal: We raised over Advent £806.74. Our target to provide one complete community water supply was £750. Thank you for your generosity!
November 16th: A Remembrance Service was held to mark the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the First World war.
September 7th: A Parish picnic was held in the Presbytery garden after 11.15 Mass. The weather was more than kind!
Gerard Toman: The solemn profession of Gerard Toman as a Conventual Friar took place in Oxford on August 22. Gerard and his family are pictured with Fr. Michael below. The Greyfriars have a lovely website here.
For a report and pictures of this joyous event follow this link
Easter Triduum 2015
|The Triduum started with the Mass of the Last Supper on Holy Thursday. After Fr. Michael washed the feet of six men and six women, the Blessed Sacrament figuratively crossed the Kedron Valley to the Altar of Repose where the faithful kept watch until midnight. The consecrated host was used at the Veneration of the Cross on Good Friday.|
|On Holy Saturday a fire was lit outside the Church. The flames were sufficiently high to dispel the night darkness.|
|This fire was used to light the Easter Candle. Led by the fire of the Paschal Candle alone, the faithful re-entered the Church.|
|Readings from Sacred Scripture were followed by the Baptismal Liturgy during which candidates received the sacraments of Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation.|